Pages

Friday 30 November 2012

Warm Afternoon Photoshoot









All photos other than the third are un-edited
(Sorry if I'm frowning a little in some of these photos)

In my last post (which was three weeks ago - I've been a little neglectful of this blog) I mentioned this Yves Saint Laurent dress I found at a charity shop. Well, here it is in all it's splendour and glory! The photos were taken yesterday afternoon in a nearby cow paddock, although the fact that it was nearby didn't stop my sister Ireland and I from borrowing the car to get there. She drove and I hopped out to open gates, or, like in the third photo - sit on them. Then skillfully we avoided weeds and climbed through fences in impractical outfits. Once we were there it was an afternoon of quoting Monty Python, laughing, scaring off cows and kangaroos, soaking up the warm afternoon sun, posing, pulling silly faces, and wielding a camera.

Summer is only a day away, and I'm longing for Winter. I'll pull out my corduroy 60's mini skirt and wish I could pair it with the maroon tights it almost always seems to end up being worn with, or have to wear a lightweight singlet instead of knitted jumpers, and sandals rather than my converse or boots. I'm even thinking that an undeniably summery teal silk dress I have would go well with a black wool cape for Winter. I guess with most of the blogs I read being located in the Northern Hemisphere, it's kind of hard to be thinking about sun-dresses and bare legs.

But our horses have their sleek summer coats, the mango trees are fruiting, mosquitoes biting, and the sun is burning within a couple of minutes. And I'm spending my days hanging around in my sister's room (she has air-conditioning.) As well as doing lots of sleeping, and at one point I woke up at six in the morning due to the bloody rooster coming into my room, jumping onto my bed, and crowing in my ear. I wish I could say that was the worst way I've ever woken up, but not when you have an older sister. And of course, lots of reading (currently on five books) and my mum just bought about six new books the other day - along with a season of Absolutely Fabulous which I'm looking forward to watching.)

My impractical outfit is comprised of the silk YSL dress, a charity shopped vintage felt hat and vintage watch. A 60's flower pin and handmade cuff - gifts from my mum, and she made and lamp-worked the purple glass bead bracelet and mermaid lariat necklace (both of which I borrowed from her.) Rings, one of them being my grandma's and the other was a gift from a close friend. The 80's boots were my mum's.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

great photos! i love a rural backdrop! :)

Unknown said...

Wonderful post as always! Am loving the landscape. And am so jealous of your warm weather.It is far too cold in Scotland!x

Lindsey Louise Bales said...

oh gosh, you are just so pretty! i adore the setting here, how i wish to be near the open fields sometimes!

lindsey louise

hellomrrabbit.blogspot.com

Helga said...

Your hat is too gorgeous,and what a wonderful setting!
Thanks for dropping by my blog, lovely to "meet" you! X

Sarah // DOTTY said...

Beautiful photos - I'm already a fan of your blog. Let's do a home swap for a while.. you can tough winter out here and I'll spend summer there :)
X

Flora Cruft said...

I'm sorry I didn't see this post earlier Willow, it's really gorgeous! You look amazing in that dress and I love the hat on you, beautiful Prairie girl chic.

mispapelicos said...

Thank you, my dear Willow for your breath of fresh air, and lovely comments.
Following you now, and wishing we keep in contact.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

citizen rosebud said...

Amazing thrift store score, Willow! Wow! You look amazing in it as well. I love how simple it is and versatile. I imagine we'll be seeing it often here on your blog- what a gem of a frock.

Rosalind said...

Now that really was a fabulous find and it looks like it was just made for you. Ah, so you're longing for cooler weather and I'm longing for warmer! We're so near our Midwinter shortest day now and the gloves, thermal tights and russian style hat are all in full force. The landscape backdrop in your photos looks rather similar to some of the fields in my village. In fact, if not for your mention of kangaroos, i could almost imagine you were a few fields away from my bedroom window - just in a different season. As you know, I'm all for impractical outfits - they're the best sort for outdoor adventures. Ireland's photos of you are great. Oh, and enjoy Absolutely FAbulous! Which season is it?

Vanessa, Take only Memories said...

You are so adorable! Lovely. The hat goes really well with the dress. Wish it would be nice and warm here!

Unknown said...

your pictures are flawless, ur pictures are visions and dreams. lurv them.
ROck4less.blogspot.co.uk

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

Beautiful pictures! I love the whimsical vibe! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

Pearl Westwood said...

Such lovely photos and it is nice to see sunshine when we are in winter x

Brittney said...

Oh man, your backdrops are stunning! I so wish I lived somewhere like this! I can't believe a rooster hopped up on your bed. That's crazy!